Nick Alexandar Zingarelli
Nick Zingarelli has demonstrated a commitment to helping his clients find solutions for life's challenges throughout his career. He has regularly served individuals, families and small businesses in debt resolution matters. This often comes through the filing of a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy but can also be through litigation defending against specific debts, including foreclosures. In addition to providing services to debtors, Nick has significant experience in creditor's rights through representation of individuals, small businesses, banks, municipalities, and trustees. He is also a passionate advocate for equal rights and enjoys working with his alma mater the University of Cincinnati to improve educational opportunities for future students.
Areas Of Practice
- Bankruptcy 75%
- Debtor/Creditors Rights 10%
- Civil Litigation 10%
- Insurance Law 5%
- Ohio, 2005
- Kentucky, 2006
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio, 2005
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2008
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2012
- Missouri, 2019
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Missouri, 2020
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 2016
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Indiana, 2017
- Salmon P. Chase College of Law, Highland Heights, Kentucky
- J.D. - 2005
- University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio
- B.A. - 2001
- Honors: cum laude
- Honors: With Honors
- Honors: Dean's List
- Major: Philosophy
- “To Buy or Not to Buy: Ethical Considerations in Buying a Law Firm”; Cincinnati Bar Association; December 2020
- Speaker on Ethics and Bankruptcy; Cincinnati Bar Association Bankruptcy Update; December 2019
- Speaker at “Bankruptcy Breakfast” co-hosted by Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati and Volunteer Lawyers Project; November 2017
- Chapter 13: A Place to Protect Debtors from the “Bullies” in their Lives; article published in NACTT Quarterly, Official Publication of the National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees; October/November/December 2017
- Member of panel speaking on Rule 3002.1 with focus on case law developments; National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees annual seminar; Seattle, WA; July 2017
- “Protecting Your License: Ethical Use of Nonlawyer Staff for Client Intake” webinar presented with Beverly Burden and Chris Brown; sponsored by NACTT; June 2017
- Member of panel for University of Cincinnati A&S Connections Entrepreneurship presentation; January 2017
- “Debt Slapped” CARE presentation with Brian Flick at Cincinnati School for Creative and Performing Arts (education of high school students regarding incurring debt); September 2016
- “Ethical Considerations for Bankruptcy Attorneys” presentation through Volunteer Lawyers Project; Cincinnati, OH; May 2016
- A View from the Trenches: Case Law, Economic and Practice Trends in Chapter 13, and How They Can Impact Your Practice, in Best Practices for Filing Chapter 13 (Inside the Minds) (2016 ed., Thompson Reuters/Aspatore).
- Member of panel speaking on ethics and bankruptcy; 13th Bi-Annual Consumer Bankruptcy Law Conference; Lexington, KY; March 2016
- Weathering a Business Bankruptcy article in Cincinnati Business Courier, January 4, 2016
- Solutions for Small Business: What Every Business Owner Should Know About Bankruptcy; (Quick Prep) (2015 Thompson Reuters/Aspatore).
- “Bankruptcy 101” presentation before Lawyers Club of Cincinnati; September 2015
- “Bankruptcy Basics” presentation open to the public at the Hamilton County Law Library; May 2015.
- “Solo and Small Practice Finance and Tax Issues” presentation at Cincinnati Bar Association; January 2015.
- Presentation at “Thinking About Flying Solo” seminar through Cincinnati Bar Association, focusing presentation on importance of a business plan; September 2014.
- Managing the Case Law and Legislative Changes Impacting Bankruptcy Cases, in Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring Law 2014 (Aspatore Thought Leadership) (2014 ed., Thompson Reuters/Aspatore).
- “Writing Your Owner’s Manual: The Business Plan” presentation at Cincinnati Bar Association; February 2014.
- The Debtor’s Attorney’s Field Guide to Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, in Best Practices for Filing Chapter 13 (Inside the Minds) (2013 ed., Thompson Reuters/Aspatore).
- Member of panel speaking on ethics and bankruptcy; Cincinnati Bar Association Bankruptcy Update; December 2012.
- Member of panel speaking at National Association of Chapter 13 Trustees annual seminar regarding small businesses in Chapter 13 bankruptcy; New Orleans, LA; July 2012
- Presentation at “Thinking About Flying Solo” seminar through Cincinnati Bar Association, focusing presentation on importance of a business plan; February 2012.
- “Bankruptcy 102” presentation at Cincinnati Bar Association; September 2011.
- Presentation at Midwest Regional Bankruptcy Seminar on panel on bankruptcy exemptions; Cincinnati, OH; August 2011.
- Presentation before Lawyers Club of Cincinnati on qualifying for bankruptcy (case law developments on means test and totality of the circumstances analysis); May 2011.
- Member of panel speaking on intersection of bankruptcy and domestic relations law; Cincinnati Bar Association Bankruptcy Update; December 2010.
- “Nuts and Bolts of Bankruptcy” presentation at Salmon P. Chase College of Law; April 2010.
- “Bankruptcy 101” presentation at Cincinnati Bar Association; February 2010.
- Presentation on mortgage arrearage cure strategies before American Bankruptcy Law Forum; Dayton, OH; November 2008.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attys, 2005 – Present
- Cincinnati Bar Association, 2006 –2020; 2022 – Present
- Secretary of Grievance Committee 2017 – 2018, 2022 – Present; Vice Chair 2018 – 2020; member 2014 – 2020, 2022 – Present
- Member of Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee; 2006 – 2020; past Chair of Committee.
- Secretary of Solo/Small Firm Committee; 2017 – 2018.
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Ohio at Cincinnati, 2012 –2016
- Member of Judicial Liaison Committee.
Pro Bono Activities
- University of Cincinnati Arts & Sciences Dean’s Advisory Board, 2014 – 2021, Chair of the Board, 2018 – 2021, Chair of Centers for Excellence Subcommittee, 2020 – 2021, Chair of Community Engagement Committee, 2015 – 2018
- Legal Aid Society of Greater Cincinnati, 2008 – Present
- Tender Mercies, 2012 –2017
- Co-Chair and founding member of Associate Board for charitable organization focused on providing housing and rehabilitation for people that are homeless and have mental health challenges.
- Regular participant in Board of Trustees meetings as liaison of Associate Board.
- Chair of Entertainment subcommittee of “Taste of OTR” Committee, 2012 – 2017.
Fraternities and Sororities
- Phi Alpha Delta
- Dearfield, Kruer & Company, Attorney, 2004 to 2008
- Zingarelli Law Office, Owner/Attorney. 2008 - Current
- American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence
- Ohio Rising Star - Ohio Super Lawyers
- Ohio Rising Star - Ohio Super Lawyers